Getting You Ready to Join HighPointe Academy
We're glad to see that you are curious about HighPointe Academy. All your questions about the application process should be answered through our Admissions Criteria and Application pages. If you need any help, or want to schedule a tour before applying, these things are located right here to make this process a little easier for you.
As always, never hesitate to contact us. Sandy Polizzotto, the Academy Director, will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. We understand that this process can be difficult and you may feel a little apprehension. Please be assured that we have your best interests at heart.
You can call the Academy Director at 303-221-3222. You can also email Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All individuals are assessed prior to admission via personal interview, record review and tour of the facility. During that time, information is gathered through questions, solicitation of goals and past achievements as appropriate. Family members and/or significant others are also brought into this process for information sharing particularly if the individual needs assistance to communicate their wants and needs.
Based on the interdisciplinary team of medical, clinical, vocational, support personnel and the individual, the placement will be identified. This placement will be directly related to the information gained during the interviews in order to maximize the choice and goal attainment of the individual. Review of the placement and success is monitored monthly, quarterly and annually.
Specific Admission Criteria
Candidates for admission will need to meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 18 years of age by the year they start HighPointe Academy.
- Have completed four years of high school education, preferably culminating with a high school diploma or certificate of completion
- Have a diagnosed intellectual/developmental disability, or significant learning challenges
- Function with little to no attendant care
- Read at approximately a third-grade level
- Perform math problems at approximately a third-grade level
- Have motivation and an eagerness to learn
- Have the ability to receive information and instruction from staff and provide responses and feedback when necessary
- Have acceptable social behavior verified by school, family, or other source
- Be free from communicable diseases
- Have the ability to maintain appropriate professional behavior and perform with minimal supervision at an internship in a competitive business setting
- Have the ability to make the commitment required of an educational/transitional program
- Have a desire to live independently and have a family that supports that goal
- Have minimal medical needs – cannot require more than 3 hours per week of nursing care
- Agree to abide by the Code of Conduct established by HighPointe Academy
- Provide copies of psychological, medical, and behavioral history
- Have no current desire of harming self or others
- Must have no record of arrest or probation; HighPointe Academy will determine eligibility based on severity of the criminal activity
- Provide three letters of recommendation (excluding relatives)
In addition to meeting the criteria listed above, a potential client must:
- agree to participate in an interview process;
- agree to actively participate in assessments, including academic, adaptive, employment, and independence;
- complete application and college readiness surveys;
- agree to have story, progress, and outcomes shared with researchers and the general community. Identifying information, including name and picture, will be disclosed only with prior approval.
“I look forward to going HighPointe Academy, it makes me feel important and that I have something to offer the world”
Take the first step toward becoming a member of HighPointe Academy
Step 1: Schedule a Tour
A campus visit is a great way to see and experience first-hand what HighPointe is all about. We are confident you will be impressed by our comfortable surroundings and more importantly, by the spirit of respect and care that permeates our campus. Individual visits are scheduled Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Visits include a tour of the campus and an opportunity to meet with clients and staff.
Please contact us at 303-221-3222 or click here to schedule a visit.
Step 2: Schedule a Free Trial Day at HighPointe
After you have had a tour of HighPointe and feel comfortable with our program, we advise prospective clients to schedule a free day at HighPointe to confirm our program is best for them. Once the free day is completed then HighPointe staff and the client and his or her support team meet to answer questions and schedule a start time, if appropriate.
Step 3: Submit an Application
The admission process involves the following:
- Interested individuals should request a Program Application by contacting the HighPointe Client Services Manager by phone: 303-221-3222 or email: email@example.com.
- The applicant must return the completed application and other required information (listed on inside cover of the application) before a free trial day is scheduled.
- All applications will be reviewed upon receiving all needed materials and then the client will be contacted to schedule a free trial day.
- If at any time during the application process you have a question, please contact us by phone at 303-221-3222 or by using the email link above.
Mail all admissions materials to:
7323 S. Alton Way, Unit A
Centennial, CO 80112
Note: Not all applicants who complete the application will be accepted into HighPointe Academy. A decision for the appropriateness of each applicant’s participation will be based upon the review of information in the application, recommendations and interview.